You are not logged in.

Tuesday, February 11th 2014, 10:31am

The World's Heaviest Smoking Countries

According to surveys that are taken during the end of 2012 (since I wasn't able to track surveys done lately), the international smoking data looks like this:

Nobody lights up like Eastern Europe, where average annual consumption can exceed 2,000 cigarettes per person. The very highest rate is in Serbia (2,861 cigarettes per person per year), according to data from 71 countries compiled by the World Lung Foundation and American Cancer Society. Fourth-place Russia, not far behind at 2,786 cigarettes per person per year, is now finally dealing with its smoking problem.

The biggest smokers outside of Eastern Europe are South Koreans, Kazakhs, and Japanese, in that order. China's smoking rate still lags behind Korea's and Japan's (1,711 cigarettes per person in China versus 1,958 in Korea and 1,841 in Japan), but China is the world's largest overall consumer of cigarettes. As the country urbanizes and develops, don't be shocked if they rise in the rankings.

A 1998 study of Russian smoking habits found a direct correlation between cigarette and alcohol consumption rates and a direct correlation between smoking and exposure to "Western influences," such as Western tobacco companies marketing cigarettes as symbols of a "glamorous Western lifestyle."

Americans rank right in the middle. The U.S. is ranked 34th in the available data, with about a thousand cigarettes consumed per person per year. They're about tied with the Israelis, the Australians and the Irish.

This is a list with the most smoking countries according to number of cigarettes per adult :

1- Serbia
2- Bulgaria
3- Greece
4- Russia
5- Moldova
6- Ukraine
7- Slovenia
8- Bosnia and Herzegovina
9- Belarus
10- Montenegro
11- Lebanon
12- Czech Republic
13- South Korea
14- Macedonia
15- Kazakhstan
16- Azerbaijan
17- Japan
18- Kuwait
19- Spain
20- Switzerland

Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment...until it becomes a memory

Tuesday, February 11th 2014, 10:37am

I am absolutly convinced those numbers are not real... i believe the number of cigarettes consumed anually is far, far bigger... worldwide.. don't care about how they rank up countries in there
Evolution cannot avoid bringing intelligent life ultimately to an awareness of one thing above all else and that one thing is futility.

Tuesday, February 11th 2014, 10:38am

and don't bother telling me that for each person and the fact that not every person living in those countries are smokers from the start cause i already know....
Evolution cannot avoid bringing intelligent life ultimately to an awareness of one thing above all else and that one thing is futility.

Tuesday, February 11th 2014, 10:40am

I am absolutly convinced those numbers are not real... i believe the number of cigarettes consumed anually is far, far bigger... worldwide.. don't care about how they rank up countries in there

Well, never fully trust to numbers but message is always the same. :rolleyes:

Tuesday, February 11th 2014, 10:57am

and don't bother telling me that for each person and the fact that not every person living in those countries are smokers from the start cause i already know....

Lol, now this made me laugh... :lol:
You know how this works at all? Datas are always taken in percentage, middle value is taken.

Family got 4 members for example,
2 of them smoke, another 2 don't.
Each of smokers smoke 10 cigarettes a day for example.
Middle Value taken from that house would be 5 cigarettes a day. :rolleyes:

So statistic doesn't reveal how many smokers are in the house, it's about numbers of cigarettes that are smoken (in the case of international surveys, how many is bought). You can have someone smoking 6000 cigarettes per year...but number will split due to total number of population of that country, it's middle value.
:D

Tuesday, February 11th 2014, 12:15pm

well i dont see albania there and in every 3 teens 2 smoke in here...so i strongly disagree with the list...it just got a report that the smoking problem here its getting higher than that of the europian states..so maybe not 1st but albania had to somehow be on that list (acording to the news at least)

Tuesday, February 11th 2014, 2:51pm

Lol, now this made me laugh... :lol:
You know how this works at all? Datas are always taken in percentage, middle value is taken.

Family got 4 members for example,
2 of them smoke, another 2 don't.
Each of smokers smoke 10 cigarettes a day for example.
Middle Value taken from that house would be 5 cigarettes a day. :rolleyes:

So statistic doesn't reveal how many smokers are in the house, it's about numbers of cigarettes that are smoken (in the case of international surveys, how many is bought). You can have someone smoking 6000 cigarettes per year...but number will split due to total number of population of that country, it's middle value.
:D

that was exactly my point... they are irrelevant...

Tuesday, February 11th 2014, 7:37pm

well i dont see albania there and in every 3 teens 2 smoke in here...so i strongly disagree with the list...it just got a report that the smoking problem here its getting higher than that of the europian states..so maybe not 1st but albania had to somehow be on that list (acording to the news at least)

Quoted

This is a list with the most smoking countries according to number of cigarettes per adult:

I kinda don't see "kids", "teens" anywhere... :S
But you got the point of the topic which was my goal. :shuffle:

Wednesday, February 12th 2014, 12:51pm

But what of the other forms of tobacco? Do they fall under this study? or just cigarettes? (talking about Snuff/Chewing tobacco)
If you cant hang with the BIG DOGS, just stay under the Porch!!!! :nono: :sarcastic:

Wednesday, February 12th 2014, 2:30pm

But what of the other forms of tobacco? Do they fall under this study? or just cigarettes? (talking about Snuff/Chewing tobacco)

Good question, but sadly it's study on cigarettes that were sold legally, only. That's exactly why numbers aren't saying the truth, in reality it's far higher consumption, but if statistic shows this situation that is critical...IRL it's catastrophic. :S

Thursday, February 13th 2014, 2:12pm

Wrong statistics!.. once i saw on a news report that france is a really heavily smoking country

Thursday, February 13th 2014, 2:31pm

Wrong statistics!.. once i saw on a news report that france is a really heavily smoking country

I wonder, do you actually have a clue of what's going on in here, when is this statistic taken and...what's the point of topic? :S

Thursday, February 13th 2014, 4:01pm

Yes ofc were talking abt smoke industry

Thursday, February 13th 2014, 8:19pm

BALKAN rules with smoke,ha,ha,ha:)))

Thursday, February 13th 2014, 11:01pm

BALKAN rules with smoke,ha,ha,ha:)))

Pretty much true, tebra :D

Thursday, February 13th 2014, 11:37pm

I don't think u understand.. france is full of smokers!"

Wednesday, February 26th 2014, 11:55pm

Surprised to see China not in top 5, atleast top 10. Biggest population in the world, here the ppl crave for the smell of burned tobbacco so they keep smoking everywhere, even infront of toddlers and pregnent women. For me being a non smoker is a sort of like playing mario in the streets, tryin to evade the smokers in almost every 20-30 steps.

Japan being there is very surprising, leaving aside rural areas, government have taken steps to curb 'random smoking' in the modern cities. South korea too however the normal restaurants are always filled with smokers.

Only place I have been in Europe was UK (6 years) and Switzerland (6 months). Cant really validate the data in the balkan areas since I havent been there, however switzerland being in that list is another surprise.

2 other places Im surprised that isnt mentioned, Bangladesh and Malaysia. As you might imagine Im sort of a globe trotter due to my work and studies, hence I think this survey not done right.

Friday, February 28th 2014, 6:25pm

Okay major Fail in the data...
Here in the US many people smoke 1-2 packs a Day...
@ 1 pack per day it is 7,300 per year
@ 2 packs 14,600 per year...
And that is a lot more the 2,000 a year....
Just a Thorn in the Heads of all those awesome Humans.. I grow bigger in their heads everyday.. I love them all.. :lol: :lol:

Friday, February 28th 2014, 7:17pm

Saito Hajime, Shylark

It's data according to World Lung Foundation and American Cancer Society, it didn't come out from my brain, to be known. :whistling: